We’ve shared some great recipes for National Nutrition Month, but none quite as hearty as this one. The best part of cooking in a slow cooker is that you get to set it and leave it, making it perfect for dinner during the week!
This recipe comes from Capital Area YMCA, and we can’t wait to try it!
Slow Cooker Chicken & Vegetable Stew
- Cooking spray
- 2- 15oz cans tomato sauce (use 1 can no salt added to cut down on sodium)
- 2 tsp. Caldo con Sabor de pollo
- 1.5 -2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (if you use breasts, cut into quarters)
- 1 pound small, red-skinned potatoes, quartered (butternut squash is a nice alternative)
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 lb. fresh kale, well-rinsed
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped garlic
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Stir together tomato sauce and Caldo con Sabor de pollo in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients except the black pepper and stir well enough to cover all ingredients with the tomato sauce mix.
- Cover; cook on low eight hours or high four hours until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and stir, then serve.